St Mary’s Church takes the safeguarding of children, young people and vulnerable adults who may be at risk of harm and neglect very seriously.
By following correct procedures, policies and guidelines laid out in the Diocese of Southwark’s ‘A Safe Church’ manual, we seek to maintain a safe and welcoming environment for all. You can view the latest version of ‘A Safe Church’ here.
If you have any concerns, please contact our Safeguarding Officer: Rebecca Veale 01959 573669
Or contact our Churchwardens:
Marjory Broughton: 01959 541059
Chris Hancock: 01959 577622
In accordance with the Church of England Safeguarding Policy, St Mary’s is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons
- Responding to those who may pose a present risk to others
All forms of domestic abuse and wrong and must stop. We are committed to promoting and supporting environments which:
- Ensure that all people feel welcomed, respected and safe from abuse
- Protect those vulnerable to domestic abuse from actual or potential harm
- Recognise equality amongst people and within relationships
- Enable and encourage concerns to be raised and responded to appropriately and consistently
We are committed to reviewing our policy and procedures annually.
Other useful contacts:
NSPCC Child Protection Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are worried about a child.
Child-line: 0800 1111 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are a child or young person and are worried about anything.
National Domestic Violence Helpline: 0808 2000 247 (lines free and open 24 hours). Phone if you are experiencing domestic abuse.
Samaritans Helpline: 116 123 (open 24 hours). Phone if you feel you are struggling to cope and need someone to talk to.
Action on Elder Abuse Helpline: 080 8808 8141 (free phone Monday to Friday 9-5pm).
Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers:
Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser, Kate Singleton firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7939 9423 Mobile 07982 279713 (for urgent matters out of hours)
Assistant Diocesan Safeguarding Advisers, Marie Daly and Louise Vernon
Marie Daly email@example.com 020 7939 9441 Mobile 07946 255295
Louise Vernon firstname.lastname@example.org 020 7939 9462 Mobile 07946 255622